The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

3.05.2011

Suffer

According to dictionary.com, there are four definitions of the word suffer.  All have to do with loss, distress, pain, disadvantage, disability, or death.  There is one thing missing from each definition, though - Christ.  None of the definitions have anything to do with the life of a believer and what we are guaranteed to go through because of our faith in the Savior who has called us to Him.


I've been reading through 1 Peter the last five days.  The theme of the whole book is suffering and rejoicing in the suffering that we go through.  He views suffering as a good thing:
"If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the spirit of glory and of God rests upon you." 1 Peter 4:14
A great friend, Wesley, and I meet on Friday mornings and part of our discussion yesterday had to do with putting together a working definition of Christian suffering.
"The patient and willing endurance of pain, loss, disadvantage, distress, and even death because of Christ."
There is a lot that can be said about the suffering of the believer.  I'm sure there are books and books on the subject.  The most convicting part of my thinking about suffering, particularly the fact that my faith in Christ guarantees my suffering, is:


Do I truly suffer for the name of Christ?


If I do, then there is nothing more to be said.  My suffering is proof enough of the genuineness of my faith.  But if I do not...then the question that will forever haunt me is...


Why not?

No comments: