The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

3.23.2011

A Heart Issue

Let me just preface today's entry by saying that I have discovered a new love for the Old Testament.  Ever since I started reading through the whole Bible this year, I've grown to look forward to reading each passage from the Old Testament.  For me, it's because every page points forward to the Savior, every passage speaks of the hope we have in Christ.  It's a beautiful picture of what God has had in mind for us all along.


There I go rambling...


Deuteronomy 9 and 10 were part of my reading this morning and they spoke volumes.  Here's my favorite verse, from chapter 10 verse 16:
"Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no longer stubborn."
It's a graphic picture, I know, but I think Moses got it exactly right.  He perfectly captures a striking truth for me today.  The CEV says, "Remember your agreement with the Lord..."  Moses knew that his audience would understand exactly what he meant when he used the word 'circumcise.'  They would immediately think back to God's arrangement with Abraham.  They would be instantly reminded of the physical representation of covenant relationship with God.


The great thing is that while we don't physically signify our covenant with God, this still continues to hold true today.  Set apart your heart to be in covenant relationship with the Lord.  But, how do we do that?  Verse 12 gives some pointers:
"And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commands and statutes of the Lord, which I am commanding you today for your good?"
This passage reminds me of Micah 6:8 quite a bit, but regardless it's a calling to live a life set apart.  Fear the Lord.  Walk in His ways.  Love Him.  Serve Him.  Keep His commands.


Is it going to be easy to do?  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  Just like the real procedure has pain associated with it, for God to do a circumcision work in your heart will be painful.  We all have sin that we have to confront and deal with and God will have to cut it out of our lives through His redeeming work.  Don't forget the end of this verse, though.  "...for your good."  This whole process is for our good, for our benefit.  Ultimately, it's for the glory of God the Father.  As painful as it may be, in the end it's worth it all.


So, the take away is this:


Quit being stubborn.  We have a heart issue that needs to be taken care of.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess you'll want to get a facebook icon to your site. Just bookmarked the url, however I had to do this by hand. Simply my 2 cents.