The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

3.29.2011

Consistency

This post is a tribute to my amazing wife.  If you have met her, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  If you haven't, well...let's just say you are really missing out.  She's awesome. For real.


Last night we were talking about a lot of things, life choices and parenting being the top two.  (*News flash: parenting = the hardest and most rewarding thing we've ever done)


As we talked, this idea of consistency kept coming up.  Whether it's how consistently you live your life and make your choices or how consistently you stick to the boundaries that you've set for your children, it seems like everything in life comes down to how consistent you are.


For me, it has been especially apparent in the Old Testament as I have read about how the Israelites were to consistently live up to the standard of the law.  In parenting, we've seen time and again how consistency (or lack thereof) can make or break a child.  In life, people watch you whether you know it or not and they see plain as day whether you live life consistently or hypocritically.


The problem, however, comes in the fact that we are sinful human beings.  We can try our whole lives to be consistent, to live up to the standard that God has called us to, and we will always fail.  The Bible is clear - "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."  Our strength is never going to be enough because we were sinful from the moment of our birth.


Back to the discussion from last night.  The feelings of difficulty in living this life can get overwhelming if you think too much about it, maybe even to the point of despair.


"I try to be consistent but keep failing - so, why bother?!"


Ever felt that way?  I know I have.


Back to my wonderful bride.  I woke up this morning to a note.  Handwritten.  From her :)
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."  Psalm 73:26
Thank you, Beth (and the psalmist), for the reminder that if we are in Christ it is not our strength by which we live, but Christ's in us.  It is not our works by which we're made righteous, it is Christ's work in us.


It's true.  We can never be consistent in and of ourselves.


BUT, Christ in us?  He is our strength and our portion forever!  He is our righteousness.  He is our consistency.


Live today in gratitude and praise to God that we can be consistent - through Christ.


No comments: