The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

11.08.2010

Needs

Growing up, one of the lessons my parents tried to impress upon us was the difference between needs and wants. For example, "Mom, I NEED that new shirt" or "I NEED to get that book, Dad!"  Their response?  "You don't NEED it.  You just WANT it..."

So, I was reading in my Bible yesterday morning (working my way through Matthew) and I came across this verse:
"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Mt. 6:33
I've heard some people use that verse out of context and say that this means if we seek after God that He'll bless our lives and give us a bunch of stuff - the "prosperity gospel," if you will.  But that's not what Jesus was intending at all!

Did you notice the words "all these things" in that verse?  What was Jesus referring to?  Was He talking about all the things this world has to offer?  Look back up at the previous verses.  Jesus has just spent the last 8 verses talking about how birds don't worry about their next meal and lilies don't worry about their clothing, but God still feeds and clothes them.  Jesus says, "Are you not much more valuable than they?"

Christ is promising that if we seek after His kingdom and His righteousness, God will meet our needs - not our wants.  That means when we eat, we should be thankful that God provided our food. Or when we have clothing to wear, we should be thankful that we aren't walking around naked.

BUT, that also means that when we don't have the most stylish outfit in the room, the money to eat at the finest restaurants, the nicest car, the fanciest shoes, the biggest house, the latest technological advances - we should STILL BE THANKFUL to God for providing food for us to eat and clothes for us to wear.  God has provided more than enough to cover our needs. Everything else is just extra.  It's completely unmerited blessing and favor from God.

What right do we have to complain that we don't have the newest or nicest stuff...or, for that matter, about anything at all?


Keep this in mind the next time you think you think that you need something:  80% of the world's population lives on less than 10 dollars a day (that's almost 5 billion people, by the way).  Almost 1 billion people are suffering from malnutrition right now and 100 million of them will die this year because of it.  There are over 145 million orphans in the world and every 90 seconds one of them dies because of malnutrition.


I guess the question has nothing to do with our needs at all.  It has to do with the amount of suffering and injustice and starvation and poverty there is in the world.  It has to do with the fact that thousands of people die every day doomed to spend an eternity in hell because they haven't even heard the name of Jesus.


The question is what are we going to do about it?


Is that need more urgent than our needs?


No comments: