The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

10.05.2010

Fearless

Have you ever heard a story, maybe on the news or the radio, about someone in another country who is being persecuted for their faith?  Maybe you read that book "Jesus Freak" by DC Talk that tells stories about followers of Christ being imprisoned, tortured, even killed for their preaching of the gospel?


What is your reaction to stories like that?


I'll tell you mine.  I say, "Aw.  Man.  That is terrible.  I wish there was something I could do.  I will definitely pray for them."  Sound familiar?


Compare my response with that of Paul's contemporaries:
"And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word without fear." Phil. 1:14
Wow. Here I am listening to a story about someone who has given up their life for the sake of the gospel and I respond with "I'll pray for them."  Don't get me wrong, prayer is great.  It's amazing.  It's wonderful.  It should be a part of every response that I have to every situation. The convicting part of this verse for me is that while I settle and let prayer be good enough, the believers in the early church didn't stop there.  They saw how Paul was imprisoned and it only made them more bold!  It only made them preach more!


Where did we go wrong?  What happened to us?  Why are we not out there shouting the name of Christ from the rooftops because we can't do anything else in response to the persecution of believers around the globe?  Why are we not telling our friends and family, who we say we love, about Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for their sins?


Is it because, just maybe, we've become comfortable?  Have we gotten into our little routines of going to work, taking kids to games, studying for class, going to church, etc. and completely forgotten about our true calling in life?  Have we become complacent in our comfort?


Or is it a belief issue?  Do we really believe what we say we believe?  Do we really believe that Jesus Christ saves us from our sins and makes our lives new?  Do we really believe that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life and no one comes to the Father except through Him?


I suppose my take away today is urgency.  I want to have a heart and mind that is just as burdened for the lost as Paul was, just as urgent about sharing the good news as his brothers in Christ were upon seeing Paul in prison.  I want to be fearless.


What about you?

No comments: