The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

8.18.2010

Good Measure

Sometimes I sit down to write, having been inspired by a passage I read in the Word that day or that week, and I've found that a lot of what I write about hits on topics that have been convicting or challenging me - and that makes sense to me because I know how sinful I am and how much I mess up on a daily basis.  It makes sense to me that God would convict me over and over about things - I can be just that dense a lot of the time.


The other day, though, I was sitting on the couch (I think) and these thoughts started to overwhelm me.  It all stemmed from a verse that I've known and read many times over the years:
"...for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self control."  2 Timothy 1:7
I love that verse because it reminds me of the true spirit that God puts inside each of us.  He makes us powerful and loving and self controlled through His strength and movement in our lives - and I love that!


Anyway, this verse made me start thinking about how this school year is different that the last few.  This school year I have a different attitude.  I know things are stressful sometimes and I know I'll be frustrated over the course of the year, but God didn't put the spirit of fear inside of me and He doesn't want me shying away from the work that He's going to do.  Rather, He started to remind me further of promises found in scripture.  John 10:10 - 
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.  I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."
 And Luke 6:38 - 
"...give, and it will be given to you.  Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap.  For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you."
I love these promises and it was so encouraging to have God remind me of these particular passages in His Word.  It's a beautiful thing to serve a God Who gives life abundantly and Who fills our lives up with good measure.  God has called us to live lives that are full and abundant and running over with good measure, not spent shaking in fear.  He blesses us way more than we could ever deserve and He calls us to live lives that glorify Him as a result.


So I challenge you (and myself) to live out this year abundantly in Christ.  Don't miss out on opportunities because you're afraid of what might happen.  And don't forget that ultimately we're glorifying the God of the nations who blessed us in the first place.

No comments: