The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

9.22.2009

Temptation

Sometimes, for whatever reason, I'll start thinking about temptation and why it even exists.  Maybe a conversation I've had or something I've seen on television.  And I wonder why there is such a battle between flesh and spirit and question whether temptation is even necessary.

I mean, is it?  If a Christ follower is trying to seek the Lord and follow His plan for their life, is temptation really necessary?  Doesn't that just serve to throw them off the track of where they should be or where they want to be?  I know the typical response that we're all sinners and because our flesh is naturally inclined to choose sin over righteousness we'll obviously be tempted to do wrong.

But those are still hard questions.  And on some level, that answer isn't really good enough for me.  Something inside of me wants to know more and wants to understand better.  I think I found my answer, at least in part.

"And Jesus...was led by the Spirit in the wilderness for forty days, being tempted by the devil."  Luke 4:1-2

What?!  I mean, I knew this passage was in the Bible, but I don't think I really knew what it was implying!

First, I'm told that Jesus was led by the Spirit.  Of course, He was in tune with what the Holy Spirit was doing in His heart and followed.  An incredible example, I must say.

But during those forty days, He was tempted.  That means the Spirit led Him into it.  That means the Spirit knew, beforehand.  That means it was always in God's plan for Jesus to be tempted.  There was purpose to it.  There was meaning behind it.  There was opportunity for God to be glorified in it.  Wow.

That means the temptation I face, the temptation you face - it has meaning and purpose and will ultimately glorify God!  That's a hard pill to swallow for me.  My weakness screams that I can't do it, the temptation is too much, why do I have to go through this because it's too hard to handle!  My heart breaks for people who give in to temptation every day, and I think it would be so much better if we didn't have to go through all of that - BUT God's purpose is bigger than that.  He has reasons I may never know.

All I know is that if Jesus trusted the Spirit to lead Him, and if Jesus trusted the Father not to tempt Him more than He could bear, and if Jesus could find a way to answer temptation with Scripture, and if Jesus could be the example for me; then I want to follow that example.