The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

8.11.2013

Babel

Photo Courtesy: Kat Masback

Time passes. People come and go. It's all vanity.

This is the central message of Ecclesiastes 1:1-11. The author has come to the end of his life and realized the wastefulness with which he lived his life, and probably even recognized it in the lives of so many others.

Verse 8 captures it well:
"All things are wearisome;
Man is not able to tell it.
The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor is the ear filled with hearing."

We were made for more, weren't we? The stuff we spend so much time collecting and pursuing is just vanity, an idol built to ourselves and our ingenuity. We're steadily continuing to build the Tower of Babel, a monument to how little we think we need God.

And yet, not a blink or a breath goes by without His sovereign hand guiding it to completion. All things in life, even the assumed, subconscious processes of our temporary, earthly bodies, are the gracious gift of God, at His good pleasure and for His great glory.

So, I close with a question. Will you work to build for God today?
Or will you vainly continue trying to build Babel?


That you might know Christ,

No comments: