The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

10.31.2012

Questioning

Photo Courtesy: Duncan Hull

Lately, Isabella has been doing this...thing.
"Momma, do you want me to put that on the counter?" 
I answer for Beth, "No, thank you."
So, she asks again, "Momma, do you want me to put that on the counter?"
Beth answers for herself, "No, baby. Thank you anyway."
I had not given it much thought until now, but tonight that same sort of exchange happened and I saw it in a new light. I think it's the Holy Spirit's way of getting my attention in a somewhat unconventional way.

See, I've thought since she started doing it that it was just Isabella being rude. She completely ignores my answer and asks again. I honestly don't know if she asks again because she really wants to hear the answer straight from Beth or if she thinks she'll get a different answer. Maybe it's something else that only her four year old mind can explain. Either way, I had new insight tonight when it happened.

We do the same thing with God.

We have a burning question about our life or God's will or whatever. We try to find the answer. And, whether it's yes, no or maybe, God answers. Sometimes it is directly through His Word or the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes it is indirectly through the wisdom of fellow believers. But, regardless of the answer, there are times when we respond as though God didn't answer at all.

So we ask again.

In Acts, questioning is shown as a great quality. The example of the Bereans is one in which Paul and Silas came to town proclaiming a word from God, but they went straight to the Scriptures to judge whether it was true. This is a good form of questioning. This is the kind of questioning that I wish more Christians, myself included, made it their habit to do.

Even today, we remember Martin Luther raising some very good questions about what the Church believed and why. And our remembering calls to mind the countless other individuals who stood up to ask good questions - questions that sought to bring people back to God's Word.

But, there is of course another form of questioning. It is the questioning that Thomas is now infamous for - doubtful questioning. It is the "I need to see it to believe it" kind of questioning. It is a faithless kind of questioning. It is a form of questioning that I fear I am all too often guilty of.

Lesson learned. Sometimes I don't like the answer God provided, so I ask again. Or I think I can find a better one somewhere, so I ask again. Or I wonder if God is even able to answer at all, so I ask again. But that's not the kind of questioning that is rooted in faith, trust, and waiting on the Lord in His infinite wisdom. All I'm really doing is pretending to be a Berean.

So, that thing you've been grappling with God about, perhaps even asking Him over and over again hoping that the answer will be different? Maybe the answer is staring you in the face. Maybe He has already answered and you simply need to trust that His answer is true, His plan is sure, and His purposes for your life are much greater than you can imagine.

Are you really a Berean? Or are you a Thomas just masquerading as one?


That you might know Christ,

No comments: