The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

11.09.2011

Colors





Have you ever been somewhere when someone said something absolutely awkward and unexpected?




I know I have.  And a couple of times that person was me, so I know all too well what that is like.  I don't know what's more painful - having to suffer through the awkwardness of the moment or realizing you're the person who caused it all in the first place.


This very thing happened to me the other day, though (thankfully) it was while I was driving with Isabella.  In fact, we were the only people who present.


I was scanning through radio stations and stopped on a station playing "Someone Like You" by Adele.  I commented to Isabella that it was a really good song (her voice is incredible!) and we continued driving, listening all the while. About halfway through the first chorus Isabella asked a question that (insert awkward moment here) blew me away,
"Is she black?"
Umm...what??  Where did she learn that?  I can promise it's not from me and Beth - we love people of all races and proudly have friends from all over the spectrum of race, nationality, and culture.  Regardless, this is what I (and countless others, I'm sure) refer to as a "teachable moment."


So, we talked.  For a long time.  About how there are all varieties of people, from all over the world.  They have different skin color, language, culture, personal experiences.  All things that make them unique and beautiful and wonderful.


But they all have one thing in common.


God loves them.
He made them in His image.
He sent His beloved Son to die for them.
He wants them to worship Him with all of their lives.
And He commissioned us to tell them.


I don't know about you, but talking with my daughter about the gospel was even better than the song playing in the background.  I hope we have many more like it.




Starting a new thing on this post - question of the day. Leave your comments in the space below!


QOTD: What interesting or deep questions have your children asked you?  How did you respond? If you don't have kids, what questions did you ask your parents?  How did they respond?

No comments: