The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

5.11.2011

Worship

I watched a man worship tonight.


Really, truly, whole-heartedly worship.


Actually, it was two men.  The first I've had the privilege of getting to know over the past two years.  We've been in small group together, we've been to Paris together, He loves the Lord and leads his family well.  Basically, he's awesome.  The other I've only gotten to observe from afar.  He is a man of few words, but when he says something it is from God.  If I didn't have my Dad, he would definitely be on my top five 'Guys I Want To Be Like When I Grow Up' list.


Long story short, I was standing in the sanctuary tonight and there was a song in the music set that I hadn't heard before.  Believe me when I say this - I love new songs.  They get me out of my comfort zone a bit.  They make me think about the lyrics and really examine my heart as I worship.


So as I stood and contemplated, I had the joy of watching the first guy pour his soul passionately into his worship as he sang and played electric guitar.  It was an awesome display of his love for God overflowing out of his love for music - and it was for no one other than the Father.


On the other side of the stage was the second guy.  While his mouth may not be filled with words, his fingers spoke volumes.  Playing the bass guitar during that song wasn't just playing an instrument - it became an overwhelmingly expressive shout of praise to God.  I don't know that I can even put words to it.  He lost himself in his praises and I know with everything in me that the entirety of what he was doing up there was for the glory of God.


I couldn't help but smile to myself and praise my God and Father, my Lord and Savior, for such a beautiful picture of worship.  The Lord reminded me tonight of the purity of genuine worship before Him and the truth that Jesus spoke in John 4:
"But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship Him.  God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." 


No comments: