The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

3.18.2010

Waiting

Sometimes when you go to the doctor, you end up in the waiting room longer than you spend in the examining room. Once you get back there, the doctor gives you the once over, asks a couple of questions, writes a scrip, and you go on your way thinking, "Did I just pay THAT much money for two minutes with a doctor?"

Doesn't make sense, does it? I know it doesn't to me. Here's the cool thing - while with doctors it may not make sense, with God it does. For me, more often than not, the solution is found in waiting for Him rather than meeting with Him. Don't get me wrong, meeting with the Lord is incredible! I love those sweet moments in the morning during my quiet time or a great sermon series or a moving worship set - they really speak to my soul and inspire me to keep living and loving for the Lord and seeking to do what He would have me do. But the times I really LEARN from Him are the times that He keeps me waiting patiently (most times not so patiently) for Him.

I read these verses in Psalm 37 the other day, but because of traveling I haven't had the chance to blog about it until now. Check these out:

"Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness."

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."

"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act."

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him..."

"The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in His way..."

"The law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip."

"Wait for the Lord and keep His way..."

I don't know about you, but to me - especially considering my propensity for impatience - that's God's not so subtle way of telling me to slow down and wait on His timing for things. So many times I think that I've waited long enough and that I'm ready for the next phase in my life, but so often I forget that my job is to be where God has placed me. My job is to delight myself in the Lord, to commit my way to the Lord, and to keep the law of God in my heart. My goal should be to glorify Him where I am, and let Him deal with the details of what's next in my life. God has to be the one who orders my steps and guides me where He wants me to go. Who knows better than Him, right?

So, the next time you go to the doctor, think of the waiting room as a literal lesson in waiting. While the doctor may know how to treat you well, who knows better than the Great Physician?

No comments: