The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

2.27.2010

Hope

What do you hope for?  A typical person these days might say they hope for the economy to start back up again or they hope for war to end.  An American dreamer might say they hope for just that - the American dream.  A husband or wife, 2.5 kids, a house in the suburbs with a big yard and white picket fence.

What about this question:  in whom do you place your hope?  Is it yourself - you know you'll never let you down.  Is it your elected officials or your pastor - they would never betray the hope and trust you place in them!  I read this morning several verses that may set it straight:

"The king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.  The war horse is a false hope for salvation, and by its great might it cannot rescue."  Psalm 33:16-17

Man!  You mean the people around me are going to fail me?  My hope is misplaced?  You mean even sometimes I'll let myself down?!

Really, in all seriousness, you probably already knew that.  We can hope in stuff and people all day long, but at the end of the day, you know as well as I do that people are fallible, people mess up.  We get let down and hurt and roughed up a lot by this world and it's no wonder we're not all crazy for all the pain we end up in throughout our lives.  It's why you see so much depression and suicide - this world is a hard place to live in!  Check this out, though - the rest of the story:

"Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield.  For our heart is glad in Him, because we trust in His holy name.  Let Your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in You."  Psalm 33:20-22

Amazing!  I can't even begin to describe the peace that settles on my heart when I read that.  The Bible doesn't just say we should hope in the Lord - it's so much more than that!  He loves us - more than we can imagine.  He's trustworthy - and he'll never break that trust.  He brings our hearts joy - and it's the deepest joy we'll ever know.

Here's my favorite part of that verse:  "Our soul waits for the Lord..."  Our souls are all waiting for just the right piece to make them whole and that piece is the Lord.  Our souls will only ever be satisfied by the Lord.  Our souls are perfectly made to be perfectly completed by the Lord!

If you don't have hope in the Lord, I pray that you will because it's the best thing you'll ever know.  If you do have hope in the Lord, don't forget - your hope is never misplaced in the Lord.

No comments: