The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

8.12.2009

Satisfaction

While I was reading this morning I found something that either I had overlooked or just never seen before, and yet again it was thought-provoking and convicting for me.

In John 14, Jesus is talking to the disciples about being the way, the truth and the life. Then, this is interjected:

"Philip said to him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.'"

I think it's commonly interpreted as a misunderstanding. Obviously even Jesus thought that because of the way that he answers Philip's question. But I couldn't help thinking, "What if Philip didn't misunderstand? What if he got it better than any of the disciples?"

I mean, Philip has just been told that the only way to the Father is through Jesus and he has two responses:
1. He wants Jesus to lead him to the Father.
2. He is completely satisfied with that and nothing more.

How often do I ask just to be lead to the Father? To sit at His feet and glorify Him for who He is and what He's about? Often enough, I suppose. But I could certainly ask more. I could desire it more. Am I going to be satisfied with worship on Sunday and Wednesday? Or am I going to never let anything stop me from worshipping my Savior until God calls me home?

How often am I satisfied with just the Father and nothing more? Not nearly as often as I should. I don't think I could even count how many times I've asked God for stuff that I wanted or made deals with Him in tough situations. If God is as great and sustaining and incredible as I believe He is, why do I not settle for just being with Him?

Philip may have misunderstood Jesus at the time, but he sure did know how to ask a penetrating question.

Lord, show me to the Father, and it is enough for me.

No comments: