The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

7.09.2015

IF


IF we confess.

There are so many aspects to highlight here, but this morning the IF stands out to me. It's so hard sometimes to confess sin, to repent, to apologize for wrong behavior, and to ask for forgiveness. My pride gets in the way. Especially when the person pointing it out is a loved one. I get defensive. I want to justify my actions. Sometimes I even begin to attack that person for hurting me (read: calling me out on my sin and wounding my pride), when it was me who was wrong in the first place.

IF you confess.
God IS faithful.

In this verse, I am the variable. IF you confess. God remains faithful, to forgive and cleanse from sin and unrighteousness. In spite of the constantly changing levels of pride and humility in my heart, in spite of my lack of willingness to admit sin, God is still faithful. This doesn't mean that there are sins that God will forgive without confession. No. God is still just and sin must still be punished and paid for. What it means is that He has given me a choice. He has offered salvation and righteousness, He has made the way clear, He is faithful to do it. All I have to do is confess. All I have to do is begin the terrible, messy process of killing the idols in my heart. And the biggest idol in my heart is a big ol' golden and jewel encrusted statue of me, myself, and I. So, I tear it down. I rip it from the roots of my heart by humbling myself to the point of admitting, of confessing, and repenting of my sin before a holy God. I do it by admitting that I can't do it without help, without God stepping in, creating in me a clean heart, and replacing that awful, gaudy, prideful idol of self with HIMself.

Then, and only then, does God forgive.

And He is SO faithful to do it! He is constant and true and love and just and merciful and gracious and abounding in blessing for those who call Him Daddy. He is the constant to my variable. He is the anchor to my storm-tossed heart. He is the hope to my hopelessness. He is the righteousness to my total unrighteousness. He is the light to my darkness. He is the salvation and life to my lost and dying soul.

IF I confess.

No comments: