The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

2.18.2013

All

Most mornings I spend time in the Word and prayer before everyone else is awake. But, every now and then, I spend that time eating breakfast with Isabella and reading at the table. When this happens, Isabella almost always asks me to read aloud. This morning I was in Genesis 36 and the thought crossed my mind (and honestly lingered there for a while) that I should just skip Genesis 36 and move on to 37. If we're truly honest, wouldn't you rather read about the dreams of Joseph than the genealogy of Esau? Plus, it has to be much more interesting to a four year old...

But then a realization dawned on me. And conviction settled in.

Do I really believe "ALL Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness?" Then why on earth would I skip a genealogy just because it's less "boring" than another passage? What am I teaching Isabella about God's Word? I would have been teaching her silently and implicitly, but just as powerfully, that certain parts of God's Word are more inspired than others. Granted, the genealogies are harder to glean wisdom from and worship God through, but if they weren't important then God would not have included them. If they weren't meant for His people to grow in their relationship with Him, they wouldn't have made it into the Bible in the first place.

So, I read Genesis 36. Out loud. Stumbling through the names and wondering what in the world God would have to say to us through these seemingly endless lists. As I thought about it, though, this passage isn't without purpose. The entire chapter concludes the story of a man who was so consumed with his own physical satisfaction that He rejected the plan and promise of God, to the point that his descendants become a major hindrance to and enemies of Israel.

Ultimately, these verses tell the story of what happens when we choose our own desires over God's desire for us. Today we live in a world of instant gratification. Yet God often tells us to wait because His purpose is much greater and His timing is more perfect. Gratification might be delayed when we wait on God, but it will always be better than anything we could have done for ourselves.

God gave us His Word for a purpose - to lead us into deeper relationship with Him and direct our hearts into worship of Him. Read it all. Cherish it all.

Even the genealogies.


That you might know Christ,

No comments: