The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

2.23.2012

Counted Worthy

This is part 1 of 2 about Luke 3:23-38. Click here to read it, and then come back!


...


If I'm truly honest, I usually skip the genealogies. I mean, who really wants to read "And he begat so and so..." over and over again?


But today I read the one in Luke 3. Out loud. I'm not saying this to get a pat on the back. I simply needed a way to stay awake because I was determined to actually read each word. And the Lord impressed something on me.


I realized as I was reading that there were only a handful of names that I actually recognized. Of that handful there were an even smaller number that I knew their story or what made them significant. But does that mean the other ones are not important?


They probably get skipped over often, maybe not even given a second thought, but God inspired Luke (and the other Gospel and Old Testament writers) to include their names. That alone makes them important. But why are they important? In the Gospels, especially the one in Luke, they're the lineage of Christ all the way back to God. That seems obvious.


But the thing that strikes me today is this: I think they're important simply for the fact that they're unremarkable. I don't know what Admin or Er did. And I don't think it really matters. What matters is that God counted them worthy to continue the line of blood that led to Christ.


I don't know what you've done either (good or bad), but if you're a follower of Christ then it doesn't matter if I know. I can trust that God has chosen you, for a purpose, and you are carrying the name of Christ wherever you go. You are a child of God. You are counted worthy.


Don't worry about whether your life is important to the world or whether people know your name like they do David or Paul. God says you're important. God knows your name. And God has an important task for you to do to further His kingdom. That might mean a smile and friendly wave to the gas station attendant. Or continuing to do your job with integrity. Or sharing the gospel with your neighbor.


Whatever it is, do it with excellence for the glory of God. He has counted you worthy enough to send His only Son to die on the cross for your sins. He has counted you worthy enough to be co-heirs with Christ. He has counted you worthy.


Now live in that worthiness.



No comments: