The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

1.28.2011

Quadragesima

Lent is coming soon and, while I'm not a typical observer of the tradition, I love the idea of giving up something in order to spend the forty days before Easter in prayer, anticipating Easter Sunday when we remember and celebrate Christ's death on the cross and resurrection from the grave.


To me, it's a chance to sacrifice (albeit temporarily) something I spend time doing and to spend that extra time remembering the permanent and ultimate sacrifice Jesus made on the cross.  A worthy endeavor, to say the least.


For some reason, it's a little over a month before that time is supposed to begin and I'm already thinking about Lent and what I want to give up during those 40 days.  I'm selfish, to be honest, and I want so badly to say "Look what I gave up!  Isn't that such a sacrifice?" (*pats self on back)  The problem is, that's not the attitude Christ had while here on earth and it's not the point of Lent.  I think that maybe God is trying to teach me that His plan is so much bigger than myself and that the world doesn't revolve around me.


So, I suppose I'm just posting this as a reminder not to forget the true meaning behind Lent and the posture of humility that Christ had during His time here on earth.  I know it seems like a long time from now, but wouldn't it be awesome if we were already in the right mindset before Lent and Easter get here?  Wouldn't it be awesome if we were praying and lifting that time up to the Lord, that He would be magnified during that time, that His name would be heard across the world as believers celebrate the single, perfect death that made eternal life a possibility?


No comments: