The name speaks for itself - Rhapsodies and Anecdotes. This is the venue in which I share (often ecstatically) personal stories about what God teaches me as I dive into His Word each day. I hope you like what I post and that it challenges you as it does me.

If you like, you can follow me on Blogger (check the sidebar to the right) and receive e-mail updates when I post. You can also follow me on twitter: @kirchdaddy.

Whatever you do and for whatever reason you're reading this right now, know this: I'm praying for you, reader. I'm praying that God works in your heart to draw you more and more to Himself.

3.23.2009

Battle

"And swelling up inside of us, there's this pride in us, this arrogance
And our only line of defense is the sense that I'm not as half as bad as this friend of mine, so I
must be fine
We mean well, don't we?"
~Jimmy Needham

I was reading in 1 Corinthians 8 this morning (yay, Life Journal!), and it was about not eating food sacrificed to idols. While that is literally applicable to some cultures, I don't know of anyone in the U.S. who regularly struggles with this issue. However, I do think this chapter is still completely convicting for my own heart.

It seems to me that the bigger issue in this chapter is pride. These new Christians were getting thrown off track, stumbling, because the more experienced Christians were proud of the fact that they could eat meat sacrificed to idols. "It's only food. Idols are stupid anyway! We only believe in one God, don't we?" They were prideful! That's what made me think of the Jimmy Needham quote up there.

What they should have been doing was looking out for their less-experienced brothers, setting an example for them because they were too immature in their faith to choose for themselves. See, Paul even says at the end, "Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble." Why does he say this? Because he won't eat meat anymore?

Sure. I guess if it came to that, he wouldn't. But I think the real reason he said something so extreme was because he thinks it's more important to look out for the best interests of his brothers and sisters in Christ. Sounds reminiscent of Philippians 2...

So my question for myself today - what is winning the battle in my life? Pride or Love?

Reality check...I think all to often it's pride...

No comments: